“Through Breast Connect, I learned that it is my body and I can pick and choose my team. Until consulting other members, I did not know I had that option. They let me know that there are many intersections on the trail, but the information they have provided has given me the power of knowledge to decide which direction to turn at those forks of the road. All members are in this disease for the long haul, but having Breast Connect’s support is both comforting and empowering.“
— Regina Halford, diagnosed March 2020
When you are fighting cancer, things we take for granted become a little bit tougher. A little bit harder. From buying clothes that work with reconstruction to cleaning the house while dealing with chemotherapy to finding that perfect hairpiece, a little help can go a long way. Here are a list of resources that our survivors found useful:
- All About You Mastectomy Boutique
- The Boutique (Clothing and Gifts)
- Cancer Support Community
- Cleaning for a Reason, a group that helps connect free professional housekeeping services with women fighting cancer
- Clips of Kindness provide complimentary clipper cuts to customers facing hair loss due to cancer treatments
- Courage2conquer.org, a mastectomy care kit program that offers mastectomy packages free of cost
- Courage to Conquer Cancer, a Knoxville-based organization that provides breast cancer patients with mastectomy shirts
- Designed by Nature Boutique
- HERE Ministries – Provides personalized home baskets to Knoxville based patients and families during treatment phase of their illness.
- HOPE Kits – HOPE Kits are a tangible expression of hope, providing comfort & encouragement to women undergoing breast cancer treatment
- Hope Scarves – Encourages people facing all types of cancer by providing scarves and stories of hope from other courageous survivors
- Positively Beautiful – Ladies boutique featuring prosthetics and mastectomy bras classic styles with many modest options.
Show Me Care Bags – Provides Care Bags that are filled with simple items that provide comfort and entertainment to patients who are receiving treatment for cancer.
- Soma Bras
- We Three Wigs
- Ancora.ai: Find Clinical Trials in Your Area
- Ciitizen.com: Find the Right Clinical Trial for You
- Clinical Trials, What Every Cancer Patient Needs to Know
- Directory of Clinical Trial Resources
- Comparing Clinical Trials to Nordstrom’s
- Click here to watch one of our Breast Connect Board members discuss her experience with clinical trials
Many breast cancer patients have found that alternative medicine (or complementary or holistic medicine) is another choice in treatment. The goal of these types of treatments is to balance the whole patient through non-traditional treatment options: diet and nutrition, acupuncture and massage, and many other options.
Often the focus in the use of these treatments is to relieve the symptoms and side effects of the traditional treatments and improve the overall quality of a patient’s life. We strongly encourage you to speak to your doctors about their recommendations. Other links to local resources are included here:
- Acupuncture, William Foster, L.A., DOM
- Acupuncture, Jana Kadovitz, L.Ac., LWCC
- Acupuncture, Wayne Stephens, L.Ac., LMT (Chattanooga)
MASSAGE, REIKI, PHYSICAL FITNESS, and NUTRITION
- Survivor Fitness – Survivor Fitness Foundation helps cancer survivors regain their health and wellness through one-on-one personal training and nutritional support.
- Massage, Lisa Birnesser, OT/L, LMT
- Massage, Sandra Corbitt, LMT, The Power of Touch, Downtown YMCA
- Gypsy Hands Healing Art
- Massage, Reiki & TRE, Gayle Owens, LMT, Winding Path Wellness, Louisville, TN
- Massage, Yoga, and Nutrition, Iaomai Center
- Nourished Routes – Offers nutrition services designed for individuals and groups who are seeking to improve their lifestyle and culture through education.
- Reiki & Acupuncture, Jana Kadovitz, L.Ac., LWCC
- Covenant Health
- Gentle Touch Therapeutic
- Knoxville Massage Therapy Center
- Lighthouse Lymphedema
- Lymphedema-Awareness Network
MULTIPLE SERVICES IN ONE LOCATION
Planning ahead is vital for your family. Advance directives are legal documents that you can use to make sure your loved ones know your wishes around your medical care in the event that you cannot communicate. Some of the most common directives are Living Will, Advance Care Plan, Medical Power of Attorney, and Appointment of Health Care Agent.
The legal documents may be different from state to state, but in Tennessee, forms can be found here. You can also contact your attorney.